Can't open the .dxf file in Adobe Illustrator, not enough memory (RAM) error.

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Can't open the .dxf file in Adobe Illustrator, not enough memory (RAM) error.

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dan.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello guys,

So I downloaded the makelangelo software and pulled one of my pictures through the software. Then I click on save as, I save it as a .dxf. What I want to do with this file is to laser cut the black lines. So that I can have a portrait in wood for example, or even in metal. But the problem is that I can’t even open the .dxf file in Adobe Illustrator, I find this very strange.

Does anyone maybe have a solution? I can try Corel Draw, just don’t have this program yet though.

Dan
    Keymaster

Try generating a simpler pattern first and loading that DXF into illustrator. Then we’ll know if DXF file format is broken or if your computer is low on ram.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello everyone
    get robotics and all tell help here.
    best regards
    steve smith

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan im also having the same problem as above with the dxf file. I have 16GB of RAM and the output file is a couple hundred kb. Illustrator shows the same error but im able to open it in Inkscape

Dan
    Keymaster

I normally use Inkscape and I tested the DXF files against Inkscape. Is there any more detail about the Adobe Illustrator problem? Any error message, log file, anything?

The DXF file format is quite extensive. I did the minimum require to make it load in Inkscape, I admit that. Presumably as a workaround you can load in inkscape, save it again to illustrator (or even back to DXF!) and then Illustrator should be able to load it OK.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan there is no log file but i do understand about how complicated parsin to dxf is. Illustrator will just say almost exactly as the OP say.

I using the workaround, maybe you could think about exporting to svg?

Dan
    Keymaster

SVG export might be doable. I guess I start here? https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html

Dan
    Keymaster

I’ve added SVG to the developer version of Makelangelo. Spiral drawings saved as SVG make nopaste, imgur, and several other online sites choke. Inkscape eventually loads the SVG. Other formats seem to be OK.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.