Amount of space in the Single Line Zig Zag

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Amount of space in the Single Line Zig Zag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there a way to change the amount of ‘walk’ or space between the lines for the [Single Line Zig Zag]? Every time I convert a picture it is very detailed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah! Hrm. Er. There used to be. Since I got pen up/down working I haven’t used it much.
    I have 90 minutes booked tomorrow to tweak some code. I’ll see if I can do this, too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Awesome! I am looking forward to getting mine and messing around this summer with it. I teach engineering and computer science @ the high school level, my kids will love this next year.

Also I think once you feel comfortable with your design you’ll need to start a Kickstarter 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s the purpose of the kickstarter? Drive the cost down for better pricing?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well that maybe, but mainly to give you more time (or hire someone) to fully develop the software and many other drawing algorithms and other improvements you might see. Also to build a larger community to support you and give you ideas.

Speaking of drawing algorithm; I saw this website: http://www.polargraph.co.uk/
    He has some cool designs (I really like the dot/spiral pixel ones).

Anonymous
    Inactive

You know, you make a good point. I didn’t have much trouble scaling from 1 to 10 units, but 10 to 100 is proving more challenging. I may have to do it just to reach the next level.

Sandy Noble, Ytai, the Zar guys… they all have their own unique flavors. I’m don’t feel right copying someone else’s style that closely, but I wouldn’t say no if someone else wrote the code.

I put in some work on the system on friday and I’ll have a lot more time after the 8th (vancouver maker faire). If you can’t wait that long please feel free to send me a github pull request with your mod.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been looking at your code from git. The JCreator project file doesn’t work so it will take awhile to make a new project and yada yada. I also prefer Eclipse as my IDE so I’ll have to re-learn JCreator. If you zip up just the project and needed files that would help a lot. I teach Java and I already have some ideas about tweaking the “Traveling Salesman Problem”. Once I get my bot up and running I’ll be trying different algorithms (Like a square dot pixel).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use Eclipse, too. Eclipse seems to be storing the project files in the wrong location and forcing absolute paths.

Do you know how I can fix this so you can get the project easily?

Anonymous
    Inactive

After Eclipse creates A project I make a folder in that project and put all my .dll and what not in that folder. Relative paths should work then. I might not understand exactly what you mean. My computer at home was sabotaged by my two year old and a bottle of coke, so it might take me awhile to work on it myself.

Are you still using the rxtxnative dll’s? I saw them commented out in the main method.

Or a better question is what do you need in the package? Just the java classes?

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, never mind… I figured it all out. I have it running in eclipse with a windows 7 32 bit.

After you add the RXTXcomm.jar to the projects library you have to make sure to edit the Native Library location to the appropriate version you need (my case windows 32bit).

I’ll zip it all up and send it to you from my drop box in a minute.

EDIT:

I also found this warning:

WARNING: RXTX Version mismatch
    Jar version = RXTX-2.2-20081207 Cloudhopper Build rxtx.cloudhopper.net
    native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7

Seems like the Jar is one version and the dll’s are different. This might get rid of that error at the beginning.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The native libraries I used are compiled by a 3rd party, I’d love to see this error go away.

Did you modify the .classpath or the .project files? I’d really love to know how you got the project set up. That information could help other people join us and speed up development.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I should add…

in the last version where someone could tweak things it was by controlling the resolution of the black & white image, which indirectly affected the number of points created by the dithering.

Voronoi would change this by giving explicit control over how many points are in the dithered image.

I’d really like to change all the image conversion plugins to use a common interface, behind which they can create their own pop-up dialog to tweak their individual settings. I’ve never liked having those options buried in preferences but I didn’t have time to make something better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hepgrya9e58y9tn/workspace.zip

I’ll update how I did what in a few hours. I have a meeting to go to. I hope this helps. Unzip and go to file -> switch workspace -> other and point to this folder. This is running the 32 bit version.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Looking at the code I thought I saw that it automatically scales the image. What if you had an option to have it not scale and and every pixel represented say 1mm. Then have an option to stretch the points by a certain offset.

to
    . . .

. . .

. . .

The user would have to scale the image themselves, but then we would know an image of 300×300 will have a max of 90,000 pixel references. This is just something I thought about in the meeting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh on the interface I think if you had a panel on the side that you can change the settings and maybe a reload image button to see the changes would be great.

I always disliked Java Swing so I use this to make my UI’s:

http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/

It integrates in to eclipse and makes UI building easier (for me).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ooh, I didn’t know about windowbuilder. I’ll check it out.

All you had to change was the native lib? No classpath or anything? Huh. Easier than I thought.

I copied your steps to http://learn.marginallyclever.com/index.php/Eclipse_RXTX_native_library_setting

If you have any other instructions to help people get started, please share. I’ll paste them to the wiki so people can have a step-by-step guide to getting started.

I used to have a system where I scaled the image different amounts to do exactly as you suggest. I took it out so that image -> gcode transform code could be shared by all the filters. A preview system sounds great! Once I write the common api for all the filters we’ll be able to put a popup box into each one with customization options, preview, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Opps broke my dropbox links. Here are my new ones:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2swmvljqxztn7v/instructions.pdf
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcpn4z3xfa9n4qx/workspace.zip

Also I saw my shipment shipped yea!

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s the workspace for?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.