I thought that the hard part would be making the Six robot arm. Turns out making a two finger gripper is also pretty challenging! I would love to see students take on this challenge to make their own gripper. There’s so many ways to tackle the challenge.
The gripper must:
- Attach to the ISO 9409-50-1-M6 hand
- Have two fingers
- Weigh under 1kg
- Be able to pick up at least 1kg and turn it arbitrarily without dropping it
- Not crush soft objects like grapes, eggs, or empty cans
- Have a minimum stroke (movement distance) of 30mm.
- Run at 12v (max 2a) for motor power.
- Run at 5v (max 500ma) for logic.
- Have replaceable fingers that can be customized to different tasks
It would be nice if
- The gripper would use ModBus (RS485) to communicate with the Sixi robot.
- The gripping strength could be controlled by the robot.
- The robot could tell the state of the gripper: position, activity right now, etc.
More to follow as this adventure unfolds! Wish us luck.
Discuss this post in the forums.