Stepper Shield Not Making Contact = No Drawbot found?

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Stepper Shield Not Making Contact = No Drawbot found?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EdmondsLibrarian
    Participant

The Uno Arduino Board and Stepper Shield don’t go together snuggly. The pins line up, but the USB input on the Uno board prevents the (Adafruit) Stepper Shield to seat all the way down.
    Pushing down at the USB point causes the USB connection to be lost to the computer.

Using just Arduino, I am able to turn the motors using the stepper test IF I keep pressing down on the side of the shield.

The Drawbot isn’t found (in Java) and I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions about how to make a better connetion between the two pieces.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know what you mean by “snug”. The shield is on the board enough to make a connection and does not need to be all the way down. It would be nice but the USB jack is just too big.

What I’m understanding from your post is that it connects if you use it without pushing down. I’m not clear about the steppers – do you have to do something special to make them go?

EdmondsLibrarian
    Participant

Update:” Arduino Stackable Header Kit” allows the shield to rise up about 2 cm. This means that the USB isn’t being touched. Either way, performance is the same. (Non-contact is not the cause of my problem.)

This would be particularly handy if one frequently plugged in the shield, as it would protect the original pins. The stackable kit is very reasonably priced.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I get the same error however when I look at the serial port/USB connection it shows the bot as being there. When I try to open up the drawing part of the GUI it says “Drawbot not Found” To remedy I have to go to serial, change the Port number, go back to the GUI and look for the Drawbot etc. I sometimes have to do this several times to make it work. Maybe I’m doing something wrong!?

Anonymous
    Inactive

“when I look at the serial port/USB connection”

So the drawbot serial connection appears in the DrawbotGUI and (presumably) in the Arduino app?

I feel like I’m missing something. Please walk me through the exact steps. Maybe a video of what you’re doing? I really want to help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

you can type [ youtube ] youtube video id [ /youtube ] (without the spaces) to embed a video.

EdmondsLibrarian
    Participant

The stackable header had nothing to do with the proper working.
    See for yourself in this discussion.
    https://www.marginallyclever.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.