[solved] version #40 OSX connection problems

Home Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot [solved] version #40 OSX connection problems

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #5985
    AvatarAnonymous
    Inactive

    First off, Dan, great piece of work. I really appreciate how much time and effort you’ve
    got into this endeavor, and I’m really blown away by how free you are with
    your time and advice.

    That said, I’m having issues with the latest OSX versions of the software. I’m running a home-brew version of the Drawbot, using an Adafruit V1 shield and a pair of old TEAC steppers, and I’m trying to run the software from a Macbook laptop.

    I’m not sure which version I have of the Arduino firmware (I grabbed the one in the firmware_ams1 folder, and also tried the same from the firmware_ams2 folder), but I’m running the latest version of Makelangelo.jar (the OSX equivalent of DrawbotGUI.jar? release dated 4/24/14) from Github.

    The firmware seems to run fine. I can contact the board successfully through the serial monitor, set limits, and jog the motors (I have also done some separate testing with the Adafruit library to confirm that my steppers are wired and powered correctly and behave appropriately). But when I fire up the Drawbot Java software, I get nothing. I can set the correct port, get the ‘Hello World’ message, and get a small movement from the servo indicating that the connection is made, but then…nothing. I can’t jog the motors or use the manual controls. The drawing menu is grayed out, too. The program doesn’t seem to be frozen, but I get no response from the motors.

    Thinking that it was a Java issue, I downloaded the latest release for OSX, with no change.

    I’m wondering if others have had issues with the later releases of the OSX software. I found an older version of the software (0.9.6) that seems to run okay (I have to switch my motor assignments, but it runs), but I’d like to run the new software with some of the new bells and whistles. đŸ˜€

    Any clue what might be going on?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    #6572
    AvatarAnonymous
    Inactive

    I suspect that it’s mostly because I’m working on the v3 these days and only testing on the RUMBA board.
    I need to fold the AMS1 and AMS2 motor settings into the RUMBA code and have a single firmware to rule them all.
    I’ve set aside an afternoon this week to make it happen.

    I have a growing number of requests for Makelangelos that run on an UNO with AMS1 or AMS2, so I’m thinking hard about making a super stripped-down kit that does exactly that.

    #6573
    AvatarAnonymous
    Inactive

    Reading through the forums, it sounds like a few people have gotten more recent OSX releases to work. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Or is it strictly a firmware issue?

    #6574
    AvatarAnonymous
    Inactive

    there’s a section in AMS1 loop() where it is waiting for ‘;’. change it for ‘n’ and you should have more success. it’s waiting for the wrong end-of-command symbol.

    #6575
    AvatarAnonymous
    Inactive

    I just pulled down the latest AMS_1 release. I see the changes you made toward the end of the code…seems to have done the trick. I can talk to the board through the Makelangelo software now. Great catch…

    Again, can’t believe how you support this work. I’m guessing you don’t sleep.

    #6576
    AvatarAnonymous
    Inactive

    Brutal efficiency. I count on happy customers to do my marketing for me.

    #6577
    AvatarAnonymous
    Inactive

    Ha! Consider it done.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.