Software setup

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Software setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I just finished building my M3 but I can’t seem to get the thing to work on the software level.

I need a guide on downloading drivers and uploading firmware. Right now It is just going up and down but can’t connect. When I plug it in the computer tells me the usb device is unrecognized. I am also not sure which board the RUMBA is in the audrino IDE.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found this:

http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA

USB connection (Writing in progress)
    Symptoms
    without any reason, the USB connection to the RUMBA is not possible. When connecting the USB cable to the computer, the operating system does not see any device. If the board is provided with a SD card reader, printing with a SD card is still possible.
    Correction
    First, be sure that the problem is not due to a bad position of the power jumper. The problem could be caused by the USB2Serial firmware. Then, you should flash the firmware following these steps:
    Set the power jumper in “USB powered” position.
    Place a jumper slightly on the two pins pointed by the white arrow (see picture below)
    If the board is not mounted on your printer, place it on a clean, dry and insulated surface.
    Connect the USB cable on the board, and connect it on your computer
    Remove the jumper (be careful not to make short-circuit, do not use metallic tools). The TX and RX leds are flashing: the board is now in DFU mode.
    RUMBA DFU.png
    If you are running Linux, you can now flash the firmware by doing this:
    Download and unzip File:RRD-RUMBA ATmega16U2 USB2Serial.hex.zip on your home folder.
    Install the software dfu-programmer. You must have the version 0.5.5 or above (Ubuntu 13.10 or higher).
    With root privileges (or sudo command), execute this command line to flash the firmware:
    sudo dfu-programmer atmega16u2 flash RRD-RUMBA_ATmega16U2_USB2Serial.hex
    You can now disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, and try to connect your host software to the board. The board should now be listed with the “lsusb” command.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok so it sees the board now but the motors wont move with the move buttons at the bottom.
    Does the board need to be in USB powered mode or standalone power mode?
    Do the motors have to be connected to the screw terminals or can the be connected via the pins next to them?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The only way it sees the board is if is in usb mode. It won’t work in standalone mode. But the motors won’t move in USB mode 🙁 Maybe my other jumpers are wrong?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok i fixed it. It works now. Except it won’t print a whole picture (see other post)

Anonymous
    Inactive

What I’m hearing you say is the M3 documentation is missing some instructions.

Were you running in windows? Windows requires a driver to be installed before it can “see” the RUMBA.

Standalone mode (jumper EXT3) is required to run the machine.

The arduino/firmware_rumba/firmware_rumba.ino file must be uploaded to the board to use it for drawing. Brand new boards come pre-programmed as 3D printers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I was having issues with the board and had to force it into DFU mode. It worked after that. I was confused because the 2 places that you mention the servo motor the directions are different (one was bottom left on was bottom right). I might take a crack at writing the M3 software section and let you put it on the wiki.

The only problem I have now is the BADLINENUM error.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.