New Makelangelo Setup @ the Lake of Constance (configuring custom makelangelos)

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot New Makelangelo Setup @ the Lake of Constance (configuring custom makelangelos)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gsohler
    Participant

Hi,

I found Makelangelo on thingiverse and i like the idea very much! Photos are available on request

So i already set up the hardware including
    * motors and connections
    * motor holders and bar of wood
    * chains
    * pen holder
    * weights
    * ramps 1.4 board with display and sdcard , firmware and connections and firmware

I am yet wissing the Servo and endstops

But i have some issues to set up

Only thing which i changed in the firmware is to change to RAMPS board

Pronblem #1
    I did not find exact instructions where to mount the endstops. do they go outside the motor wheel or inside the motor wheel and how do they trigger

I did not find any information how to determine the setup values for
    HOME X/Y, Left, right, bottom, top and Left right chain length. is there information how to set it up ?

Problem #2

When i connect to the Arduino by serial 57600 i get
    > (CR) > (CR) > (CR) , repeated and it does not accept any input
    I set: Send on (Enter) but no change

Any help is well appreciated

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Dan.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Dan. Reason: added to title
    Dan
    Keymaster

2) make sure “newline” is set in the serial window. arduino has to send the “\n” character.
    The “>” means robot is ready to receive more commands. it sends the message regularly to let you know it is not frozen or something.

1) http://mcr.dozuki.com has our assembly guide. You’ll see where to mount M5 switches.

1.5) “I did not find any information how to determine the setup values for
    HOME X/Y, Left, right, bottom, top and Left right chain length. is there information how to set it up ?”

Sure, look in the firmware for robot_polargraph.cpp method “makelangelo5Setup()” (line ~430). If you are using recommended sizes then simply sending “D11” once will initialize the settings.

parser.h lists all available commands and their syntax. it *should* be mirrored in https://github.com/MarginallyClever/Makelangelo-firmware/wiki/gcode-description

There’s probably enough separate commands to initialize the machine any way you like.

Now do us all a favor and update the German translation of Makelangelo-software! πŸ™‚

gsohler
    Participant

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your instructions.
    In the meantime my servo is working after i put a jumper to power it. also my motors are not working very well after i mirrored one stepper motor connection and put all the jumpers so it makes 1/16th steps instead of 1/4 steps.
    Only endstops are not there.

Looking at the pictures i have seen that you use micro switches as endstops and where you mount it.
    Still I dont have a good strategy how to mount endstops as i am using the model which i found in
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:798076.

Thank you for giving me a hint where to find good “default values”. Does not yet help me completely as my plotter has different dimensions.
    Is it true that the home position is always in the middle of the lower box edge , at xmid, ymin ?
    if not, how does Makelangular caculate the home position ?

Is there a possibility that Makelangular software stores its settings ? Every time when i start i need to switch back to “Custom Machine” and set all settings again.
    BTW: the ‘start windows’ file does not work at all in my windows7, i always directly start the jar file which is just fine.

Now i tried to plot an svg file and adjusted the paper size. however when i press on the ‘Start’ button its stuck after the 1st line and does not proceed. What can be wrong there ?

While looking into the german translation in the XML File which found in the code, I have seen, that there are MANY items there which i did not yet find in the code, things like Maze or ‘register to see more options’ I did not find any of this in the Software. Is it there ?
    AND: Somewhere in the videos i have seen you drawing a 3D plot which shows a a 3d grid built of X, Y and Z bars. is this also included in the program ?

Until i get my plotter working, i think my translation is good enough to carry my name in the author field πŸ™‚

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.