Makelangelo update #41: UNO fix for AMS1

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Makelangelo update #41: UNO fix for AMS1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Alpha test for Adafruit Motor Shield 1 firmware update. Should now work with latest version of software. I’m testing this as the post is being written, so far everything looks OK. The biggest issue seems to be the top speed.

Grab the latest github and update your arduino with firmware_ams1. Your machine should now correctly respond to all commands in the Makelangelo program.

This update has been made so that we can release a v2.5: v2 electronics, v3 pen holder, and v3 motor mounts. Ultra bare bones, a little slower, and much less expensive.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan, I got the OSX version of the Makelangelo software talking to the board and motors now, but the software itself seems to be having trouble with Gcode…I’ve tried opening several of the examples, and the image seems to be garbled. Also, if I try converting a simple Jpeg image, the program seems to be hanging (status window at lower left displays, ‘opening file…’ but no further activity). The program doesn’t seem frozen (I can still open prefs, settings, jog motors, etc.), but no image. “Text to Gcode” seems to work, but I can’t get any results with the other functions.

I know there was an issue with some of the sample Gcode at one point (in the thread ‘makelangelo 2 line inaccuracy’) but don’t know if there was a resolution, or if it was the same problem. I’d like to get a simple image, like the ‘hello world’ outline, to test out my setup and calibrate, etc…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Which examples?

Anonymous
    Inactive

What would be nice is if there was a built in calibration drawing that would draw standard size boxes on different parts of the paper. Take in all the machine settings and draw circles and squares at all for corners and the middle.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried the ‘Hello world’ outline from earlier .dmg releases, as well as the Fibonacci and one or two others. If I remember right (I’m away from the machine now), I tried sample gcode from a few different software drops (in other words, some examples packaged with the Makelangelo 0.9.6 release, the Makelangelo 2 package, etc, including both OSX and Windows gcode–don’t know if the gcode itself is platform-agnostic).

When I open these files, the preview shows some garbled, half-recognizable toolpaths, along with a series of massive circles that go way outside the paper and machine limits. If I start the drawing the machine starts to follow those circular paths, trying to exceed the physical limits…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please don’t use those samples. They will be removed in the next update.

Try the version mentioned at the top of this thread and load in your own images. To check that you’ve got your config right, the TL/TR/BR/BL buttons will drive the pen holder from the center to each of the corners of the paper. TL=top left and so on.

I have made a note to add a “how to test your settings” page to the wiki.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello!
    Can I use the AMS1 firmware with Arduino Mega 2560?
    Also, if I wanted to use say pololu drives, which output pins should I connect to step and dir inputs?
    I see
    // which motor is on which pin?
    #define M1_PIN (1)
    #define M2_PIN (2)

But where is step and dir?
    PS: I’m a complete arduino noob, so please be patient

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I’m uploading to Mega and here’s what I get:

Arduino: 1.5.6-r2 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Nano, ATmega328”
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp: In function ‘void spiSend(uint8_t)’:
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp:35: error: ‘SPI’ was not declared in this scope
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp: In function ‘uint8_t spiRec()’:
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp:44: error: ‘SPI’ was not declared in this scope
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp: In member function ‘uint8_t Sd2Card::init(uint8_t, uint8_t)’:
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp:251: error: ‘SPI’ was not declared in this scope
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp: In member function ‘uint8_t Sd2Card::setSckRate(uint8_t)’:
    C:Program Files (x86)ArduinolibrariesSDsrcutilitySd2Card.cpp:507: error: ‘SPI’ was not declared in this scope

Something about SPI and sdcard (which I don’t need yet), right?

upd: OK I commented out or deleted everything about SD_CARD and uploaded. Now I see the board in the software!
    HELLO
    WORLD! I AM DRAWBOT #0
    etc etc )

So the question remains: where shoud I connect the step drives?
    And can I connect the servo right to the arduino? (I’m waiting for AMS1, but it might take too long)

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK again, I try without motors…
    It converts a picture to GCODE but when I start drawing it hangs at 0.2% or 2.3% or so.

Also, it does not seem to show testpattern.ngc

I use start32 for windows

upd: it magically finished the job… from the 7th attempt or so.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What did you do to get it finished? Mine hangs up too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I don’t know… It never finished again. I tried Java x64 too. I saw error like “control sum error” or “communication error” once, not sure if I remember correctly. There are also errors in the command prompt window.

I’ll try to upload rumba version and see if it’s only ams1 problem…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Uploaded RUMBA firmware… nothing changed
    I get BADLINENUM or BADCHECKSUM pls see

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.