Makelangelo on Raspberry Pi

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Makelangelo on Raspberry Pi

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just posted a pull request on Github that allows the Makelangelo software to recognize Linux and find the serial ports. That was the only barrier in using the java client on Raspbian. Only tried the GCode option so far.

A little sluggish, but might work really well on the Pi 2 that was just released.
    This does a lot for portability using just the 2.5 Drawbot.

Picture and Pull Request
    https://github.com/MarginallyClever/Makelangelo/pull/60

*Currently working on a guide*

Anonymous
    Inactive

The most up-to-date Raspbian image has the Oracle Java 8 RE already installed.

With the newest dev branch Makelangelo Client and all associated files.

Navigate to the folder and create a quick launcher script in the terminal containing:

#!/bin/sh
    java -version
    sudo java -jar Makelangelo.jar

Call it “start.sh”

Now allow it to be executable:

sudo chmod +x start.sh

It should be accessible from the GUI file manager or from the terminal in the GUI (“./start.sh”)

Its kind of sluggish to be honest but it might play well on the new RPi 2.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there a way to run it remotely? I’d like to mount the pi up on a big big wall and have a single ethernet cable to my laptop (or a wifi router)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Rather than X forwarding, I use X11VNC on the raspberry pi as it refers to the window environment that the HDMI outputs.
    You need a permanent environment for the client to exist on so you can disconnect and reconnect later (which I don’t think the forwarding offers. Not 100%).

When in raspi-config, make sure the pi autostarts in the desktop environment rather than the command line.
    Then refer to this post (http://www.thefruitycomputer.com/forums/tutorials/article/24-autostart-x11vnc-in-raspbian/) to set up auto broadcasting.

Then just locate the ip address using a tool like nmap or connect it directly to your ethernet port:
    https://pihw.wordpress.com/guides/direct-network-connection/

Anonymous
    Inactive

On first try the new version (newest dev and your provided 7.0 alpha build) doesn’t run on the pi. Unable to reproduce the error messages at the moment but it involved the new JOGL draw frame. Version 6.0 doesn’t include my minor addition for com detection on linux so I’m dead in the water. Shouldn’t have deleted the version I had running….

Anonymous
    Inactive

jogamp only has a few posts about raspberry pi. It sounds like they support the ARM chip and you just need the right native drivers. All I found was one guy who couldn’t get his setup to work right. Does this help?

http://forum.jogamp.org/Raspberry-Pi-Processing-P3D-JOGL-td4032109.html

bulp
    Participant

Hi all,

id try to run Makelangelo on Pi 3 just now & i got this error..

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

my java version is
    java version “1.8.0_65”
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

any idea why this happened ?

Dan
    Keymaster

Can I just say… you guys are awesome. It would have taken me forever to get even this far.

Dan
    Keymaster

As for a command line only version… interesting idea. I’ve heard it once before. No idea how I’d approach that. Separating the GUI from the command line might mean I could automate testing for the subsystems…

Dan
    Keymaster

@bulp

When I try and run the demos I just get a load of error messages such as libEGL warning: GLX/DRI2 is not supported/failed to authenticate etc

The chances are this is because ‘something’ (such as gedit) has installed mesa which added its own versions of libEGL and libGLESv2. If you run:

$ sudo find / -name libEGL*
    $ sudo find / -name libGLESv2*

on the Raspberry Pi you should just get /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so and /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so if other ones turn up i.e. /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1 you could try creating symbolic links for them all like this:

$ sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so
    $ sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1
    $ sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so
    $ sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so.2

NB on other systems such as Debian, ubuntu etc the “good” files will not be in this location, they will be somewhere like /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa-egl/ so you have to alter the commands accordingly Use the actual paths as listed by find. After creating new symbolic links you will need to run:

$ sudo ldconfig

This issue is being looked into by the maintainers of Raspbian so, hopefully, it will be fixed in later releases.

https://pi3d.github.io/html/FAQ.html answer no 7

bulp
    Participant

@Dan

thank you for the answer… but still i do have the same problem..

anyway can i have Raspbian Image that had working Makelangelo in it?

i can buy you beer if i get the image.. 🙂

Dan
    Keymaster

And the prize pool just went up by one beer! …I don’t have that image yet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.