Makelangelo fans: Which would be most helpful to you?

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Makelangelo fans: Which would be most helpful to you?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Keymaster

I want to make your life easier. Which of the following would help more?

a) a full list of supported gcode, the syntax, and what it is for

b) a tutorial about writing your own conversion style in java

c) a tutorial about writing your own generator in java

d) something else (please be specific)

Anonymous
    Inactive

a full list of supported gcode, the syntax, and what it is for

Dan
    Keymaster

David – here is a partial list, unsorted. I will edit later with more.

GCODE FOR MAKELANGELO:
    GCODE FOR MAKELANGELO:

[G] [Preparatory Commands] Codes:

G0-G1 [Xnnn] [Ynnn] [Znnn] [Unnn] [Vnnn] [Wnnn] [Ann] [Fnn]
    Move in a straight line.

G2-G3 [Xnnn] [Ynnn] [Ann] [Fnn] [Inn] [Jnn]
    Move in an arcs in the XY plane. G2 for cw, G3 for ccw.

G4 [Snn] [Pnn]
    Wait S milliseconds and P seconds.

[G28]
    Move to origin (Go home).

[G29]
    Calibrate belts.

G54-G59 [Xnnn] [Ynnn] [Znnn] [Unnn] [Vnnn] [Wnnn]
    Adjust tool offset.

[G90]
    Enable Absolute Mode.

[G91]
    Enable Relative Mode.

G92 [Xnnn] [Ynnn] [Znnn] [Unnn] [Vnnn] [Wnnn]
    Teleport mental position.

[M] [Miscellaneous Function] Codes:

M6 [Tnnn]
    Change the currently active tool.

[M17]
    Engage Motor.

[M18]
    Disengage Motor.

M100
    Print a helpful message to serial. The first line must never be changed to play nice with the JAVA software.

M101 Annn [Tnnn] [Bnnn]
    Change axis A limits to max T and min B.
    Look for change to dimensions in command, apply and save changes.

M102
    Print the machine limits to serial.

[M110] [Nnnn]
    Set Line Number.

M114
    Print the X,Y,Z, feedrate, acceleration, and home position

M117 [string]
    Display string on the LCD panel. Command is ignored if there is no LCD panel.

M226 P[a] S[b]
    Wait for pin a to be in state b (1 or 0). if P or S are missing, wait for user to press click wheel on LCD.
    Command is ignored if there is no LCD panel (and no button to press).

[D] Codes:

D0 [Lnnn] [Rnnn] [Unnn] [Vnnn] [Wnnn] [Tnnn]
    Jog each motor nnn steps.
    Latter motor names are UVWT.

D5
    Report current firmware version.

D6 [Xnnn] [Ynnn] [Znnn] [Unnn] [Vnnn] [Wnnn]
    Set home position for each axis.

D7 [Lnnn] [Rnnn]
    Set calibration length of each belt.

D8
    Report calibration values for left and right belts.

D11
    Makelangelo 5 specific setup call.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi
    I am new here and I am a tourist guider at Chittoor Dargah , Kapasan wale Baba .
    best regards
    Hazrat Deewana

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I would like to know how can i compile the project in IntelliJ IDEA?

Thank you in advance,
    Laura

Dan
    Keymaster
    EdmondsLibrarian
    Participant

I really like the GCode list. Thank you.
    As a progression at school, the Cartesian grid is the place to start. Eventually (like in Middle School), I hope my students would understand GCode, much like html. Don’t know if there are any like-minded educators. For example, having students draw a picture from GCode on paper would be a good offline experience.

Dan
    Keymaster

Makelangelo software can load a gcode file, which will immediately be displayed in WYSIWYG preview.

It may help to tick the box in preferences > graphics > show pen up moves

Dan
    Keymaster

So it would seem that with Scratch support now included, A-C are completed. Neato.

StephenPierce
    Participant

New here too.

Hope for a good start here.

Tan
    Participant

as a makelangelo fan:

wireless connection
    tool/pen changer
    endstop usage / easier homing and easier machine size control
    easier usage without LCD ( skipping “click to continue” step ) maybe someone shares the gcode for skipping that step
    different approach to Z axis / being able to use brush and getting different linewidhts with servo angles

would be perfect

fantasies:
    flying makelangelo
    wacom2makelangelo or wacom2gcode2makelangelo / realtime drawing
    DIY tutorial for dummies like me

still. I love my makelangelo

Dan
    Keymaster

1. I’m looking at options for a wemos/esp* brain that would be wireless.
    2. what do you mean? automatic pen changing? foo… that’s a big ask for a polargraph.
    3. Possible on the M3 with a few changes.
    4. I could add a toggle in the software to not add the message, beep, and wait for click.
    5. not sure what you mean here.

what kind of diy tutorial? Do any of these help? https://mcr.dozuki.com/c/User_Guides

Tan
    Participant

1. great news
    2. maybe starting with double pen holder (like double extruder) is a better idea. I’ve found this “Servo actuator for pull and push” on thingiverse / https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2305061 /
    probably “secondary pen down” angle will be needed on software.
    3. what kind of few changes? / I have an extra couple of endstops
    4. PLEASEEEEEEEE DO
    5. let me put it this way: different pen down angles for different lenght of lines. for example: if the line is long (let’s say 20 cm) pen will be closer to paper, if the line is short (5cm) pen/brush will be far ( I currently do some experiments with brushes, so any dynamic pressure can be sexy)

more of a “these are the stuff to buy/parts to print/ and step by step installation (dummies) tutorial

Dan
    Keymaster

For #5 you’re really looking at making your own image converter. In your place I’d get familiar with how the existing converters work and then write a new one (or tweak an existing one). Way better than waiting for me, much shorter development time.

ianmcmill
    Participant

1. It would be nice to have an option to disable M226 in g-code generation.
    2. It would be nice to have an option to adjust paper position (vertically and horizontally) directly. Instead of cheating by changing the polargraphs height.
    3. When generating gcode in Makelangelo software the size settings for the polargraph do not show up (as a comment) in the g-code. For convenience it would nice to have a comment in g-code stating some stats like polargraph/pen settings.
    4. Following number 3. is it possible to have the g-code generated relative to polargraph settings within the g-code? What I mean: At the beginning of the g-code, the width of the machine and the size of the paper is printed. The arduino calculates the movments based on these settings? This way it would be possible to change the outcome by just changing the settings at the beginning of the g-code. I think this is not trivial. Is this even reasonable? And how does Makelangelo reacts to SVGs created with inkscape when they are directly run off from the SD card?

Dan
    Keymaster

1. I looked into this. it is not trivial to implement. The simplest way I could find was to ignore m226 in the firmware.

2. early versions of the software had this. I abandoned it in favor of user-friendliness. An expert panel for custom machine with all the bells and whistles might work. By default most image manipulation code probably assumes paper at the center of the drawing area.

3. that wouldn’t be hard. make an issue ticket and I’ll see if I can do it sometime soon.

4a. g90/g91

4b. It uses dimensions for kinematics, but the gcode position commands are not tied to the machine size. You could change machine size commands and the rest of the code would still work.

4c. makelangelo-firmware cannot read SVG files. They must be converted to gcode, then put on the SD card, then run from there.

ianmcmill
    Participant

Loading an SVG/DXF into the Makelangelo software always centers the content of the SVG. Alignments are irgnored.
    This is a problem when drawing with multiple colors. However, there is a “switch color to…” function in the firmware for the internal CYMK art style. It’s just not useable for anything else then the CYMK style.

I have two layers in Inkscape for different colors. When saving each layer into a separate file and loading them successively into the software, they get centered automatically destroying the different alignments I had in Inkscape.
    AxiDraws Inkscape plugin is able to successively draw layers. This would be nice to have it in the Makelangelo software.
    As I am writing this I got the idea of trying the 4xiDraw Inkscape plugin with the makelangelo firmware.

Dan
    Keymaster

So you need a “center/don’t center” and maybe a “resize/don’t resize” option? I’m looking for the best way to implement this.

Phi Le
    Participant

Hello Dan,

I want to ask you that the lastest firmware (9.1.0) and software (7.21.0) can support wemos board + cnc shield? And I need to use board Wemos D1 R1 or Wemos D1 R2 for wall plotter? Have a nice day!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Phi Le.
    Dan
    Keymaster

@Phi Le,

There is some firmware code for the Wemos D1 D2 but I cannot guarantee it will work. I would need these boards to test.
    Software should work if firmware works.

Phi Le
    Participant

Hello Dan,

At the moment, I’m using Ramps 1.4 and Arduino MEGA for this drawbot and I’m using the weight is the big battery 1.5V.

But when I control my machine drawing border. The border is distorted when the servo goes down. It’s not the rectangle. I don’t know what happens?

Dan
    Keymaster

show a picture so i see what you mean, please.

Phi Le
    Participant

View post on imgur.com

Sorry, I use software Paint to draw border which my machine drew (The border isn’t the rectangle).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Phi Le.
    Dan
    Keymaster

your calibration needs work. if you are certain the distance between motors is correct then your home position is probably too high.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.