Makelangelo 2.5 not connecting

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Makelangelo 2.5 not connecting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have an arduino uno and an adafruit motor shield v2.3 that I am turning into a makelangelo 2.5, but even though (to the best of my knowledge) everything is connected and the firmware is downloaded, the software won’t connect.
    I try to connect by clicking connect, and then my serial port, but nothing seems to happen, and I can’t move the servo like it shows in the instructions.
    Sorry for the noob question, but I haven’t been able to figure this out on my own.

Anonymous
    Inactive

First things first: are you running the latest edition of the software and firmware?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes. I also think I have it configured properly. I’m not positive though because it isn’t working.. .

Thanks for the help, is there anything else I can tell you to help you help me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What do you see in the Arduino Serial Monitor when you connect to the robot?

Anonymous
    Inactive

This message:

ž `±XAڏ¤EXƒzQífýê3N†B|¦1ùòù¨$¤ I¼;CÐÁ¤Ç e¤”:r;<b?8épsŒ:Ó´Ž¼àY!U N”hxç‰þòùùùùùùùóùùùùùùùòýòòóòóóùóùùùýùòòùùòóùù

I could be wrong, but I assume that isn’t what I should be getting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, I lied that was with the incorrect baudrate.

HELLO WORLD! I AM DRAWBOT #0
    Estimated pre-scale: 2.81
    Final pre-scale: 3

HELLO WORLD! I AM DRAWBOT #0
    M100 – display this message
    M101 [Tx.xx] [Bx.xx] [Rx.xx] [Lx.xx]
    – display/update board dimensions.
    As well as the following G-codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code):
    G00,G01,G02,G03,G04,G28,G90,G91,G92,M18,M114

>
    >
    >
    >

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well… that all seems correct. Does the Makelangelo log say?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that that is where I get the issue. I try to connect and I get a check mark next to the port, but nothing appears and I can’t control anything. The option to disconnect also isn’t possible which I assume mean it doesn’t connect. I’ll attach a screenshot.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s… new. If you can open a serial window to the arduino and it answers, the makelangelo should also be able.

The only time I’ve seen Arduino fail to connect to an arduino pcb is when it’s a cheap chinese knockoff and the FTDI chip is bad. only affects Macs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I haven’t tried to move the motors and the servo through the serial window, is that possible to test if it’s really connecting to the steppers and servo?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes! Great question.

D0 L150
    D0 R150

D0 L-150
    D0 R-150

150 could be any number, really. L for left motor, R for right.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well unfortunately that does nothing. The stepper motors aren’t even making an attempt to move, or showing any sign of power going to them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can I see a picture of your wiring, please? Maybe there’s a crossed wire somewhere.

Anonymous
    Inactive

imgur.com/LAVHvYH

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like blue and yellow are swapped.

This is an AMS2 shield, which means the shield i2c address is probably wrong. Run one of the Arduino demo files that scans for all i2c devices, that will tell you which address is the right one. then change the address in the fiemware_ams file and upload again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The default address in firmware_ams is 0x60. When I used a scanning sketch it said if found two devices: one at Ox60 and one at 0x70. I tried both but neither of them changes the issue. Thanks so much for all this help, I’ve been having a lot of trouble.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d focus on reducing the problem set. Find some way to prove that individual pieces work. If each one goes, then it’s something about the way they work together that’s the problem.

Sadly I don’t have an AMS2 to plug in and try at the moment.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it a problem that the TX LED keeps blinking?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, so I re-downloaded the software yet again, but somehow this time it connected. http://i.imgur.com/LYRSQTg.png

Now the servo won’t move, or the steppers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Update: the servo works, but one of the steppers does nothing and the other just emits a high pitched noise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like just one of them has a crossed wire.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.