How to determinate the length of belt for each motor?

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot How to determinate the length of belt for each motor?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Phi Le
    Participant

Hi Dan,

I have 1 problem with my DIY Makelangelo Art Robot, which I have built by RAMPS 1.4 + Arduino Mega 2560. My robot doesn’t seem to draw the correct rectangle when I tell it to draw the border. The figure looks more like a parallelogram. I have read “Recommended Makelangelo 5 settings, calibration”, but I don’t understand how the belt length is determined.
    Does it look like the photo below? Or is it the total length of each belt of your kit in shop?

View post on imgur.com

mrbernd
    Participant

Hi Phi Le,

I am not the most qualified person to answer, but the belt length is to my understanding the distance from pulley to the home position of the Makelangelo. My home position is about 307 mm below the zero point, when using a 775 mm wide and 1000 mm height Makelangelo.

There is also a recent instructable which uses the same hardware as you. It might
    https://www.instructables.com/BLACKBOARD-V-PLOTTER/

It might help you further. – I already had plenty of hours of fun with my Makelangelo and I wish someone could help me with my issue. After a firmware change my Makelangelo (with a CNC V3) understands and responds to all M- and D-commands, but freezes when using a G1/ G0-command…. I am desperated.

Regards,
    Bernd

mrbernd
    Participant

Hi Phi Le,

forgot to mention, that there is also a Processing script in Dan’s github where you can see the effect of a misaligned Makelangelo.

https://github.com/MarginallyClever/PolargraphDifference

Regards,
    Bernd

Dan
    Keymaster

@Phi Le, your picture is great!… but the top corners should be at the center of the motor shafts.

@mrbernd
    you are 100% correct and thank you for answering Phi Le. Stay awesome đŸ™‚

I encourage everyone to join our Discord server, the response time is faster and we have a #showcase channel where you can post what you’ve been making.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Dan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.