First Plot Results and How to resolve issues

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot First Plot Results and How to resolve issues

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    halfluck
    Participant

Hey Guys,

My first plot ==>

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2h4GoSA.jpg[/img]

Did a Generate Art / Hilbert Curve Fractal (order 6)

1.) It did not lift the pen after it finished the plot. (I have checked my pen up/down and calibrated its ok)
    2.) there is a bow in the design more pronounced at the top compared to the bottom

My Specs

Nema 17 1.8/200
    GT2 Belts / 16T Pulley

Rumba with Firmware v7.15.5
    Running Software v7.16.1

MW 537.0 (this is from the right end of pulley left to the left end of pulley right)
    MH 470.0
    Accel 2000, Draw Speed 2000.
    PEN UP 180
    PEN DOWN 120
    LIFT DELAY 50

A3 Paper Landscape

Firmware Details
    // motor details
    #define MICROSTEPS (16.0) // change this. microstepping on this microcontroller
    #define DEGREES_PER_STEP ( 1.8) // change this. as advertised by the stepper motor maker

#define NORMAL_MOTOR_STEPS (360.0/DEGREES_PER_STEP) // 360/0.9=400. 360/1.8=200.
    #define STEPS_PER_TURN (NORMAL_MOTOR_STEPS * MICROSTEPS) // default number of steps per turn * microsteps
    #define PULLEY_PITCH (2*16.0) // 2mm per tooth, 20 teeth.
    #define THREAD_PER_STEP (PULLEY_PITCH/STEPS_PER_TURN)
    #define MICROSTEP_PER_DEGREE (STEPS_PER_TURN/360.0)

Thanks for any suggestions

Rob.

halfluck
    Participant

Finally getting some better results

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

The improvements are settings Paper 10.5 from top and Pen Home 23.5 from top.

The bow has completely gone but the lines that should be straight in the upper half are noticeably curved but it gets better as you get lower.

Not sure how to resolve that one.

Dan
    Keymaster

That is odd. I normally get better quality higher up. If you draw a 10cm line in any one direction is it actually 10cm?

halfluck
    Participant

Hi Dan,

I will try that now and report back, but so far dimensions are outputting the same as in the GUI

I’ve slowed it right down to 500 Accel/Feedrate and this is the results so far ==>

View post on imgur.com

Cheers Rob.

Dan
    Keymaster

fwiw, I have been doing experiments with adjusting acceleration based on machine size and plotter position.

Acceleration sideways can be higher when the plotter is near the top of the drawing because the V shape of the belts is much wider (more stable).

halfluck
    Participant

Ok so I have done my homework!

I used inkscape to draw a 200mm line and some text, object to path and exported as a DXF as that is what the GUI seems to like best.

Here is my results

View post on imgur.com

My concern is how I have measured the Machine Width and not certain I have done it correctly and that is affecting the Math of the output.
    Centre to centre of my stepper motors is 547mm, The Radius of my Pulleys is 5mm (16T pulley, so 2×16=32mm circumference) so I set 537 as my Machine Width (which is the right most side of my left stepper to the left most side of the right stepper i.e. groove to groove)

is this correct?

Cheers Rob

Dan
    Keymaster

I would have used 547.

As the plotter moves around the belt changes position on the pulley. this is *really annoying* if you want precision. On the M5 the belt is usually touching on the bottom inside screw of the motor, which keeps it mostly under control. I say usually because in the very bottom corners of the drawing area the belt can lean away from the screw. If it were always at exactly that spot the image quality would be even better.

halfluck
    Participant

Thanks!

SO i am just trying 547 now

View post on imgur.com

It does seem slightly better, It is bowed because my home point will need to change with the width change
    I did find some standoffs and longer bolts in my parts bin, so would the width measurement then be taken from
    them points? i’ll try that next.

View post on imgur.com

Dan
    Keymaster

I have a feeling you are going to invent new and interesting ways of making even more accurate pictures, and I welcome your efforts.

halfluck
    Participant

I have added the standoffs as suggested

View post on imgur.com

It’s taking me some time to get my page in the right spot and find the correct home position to avoid the Smile or Frown at the top of the drawing.

Cheers Rob.

halfluck
    Participant

I have now found the correct paper placement and home position again after adding the guides, its pretty much bang on the homing template that you provide!

So i did another Hilbert Curve (soo bored of this test pattern right now!)

i’ve slowed the accel/speeds down to 400 & the pen has had its day 🙂

it’s getting better but not producing perfectly straight lines, is this the best that i can hope for?

View post on imgur.com

Cheers Rob.

Dan
    Keymaster

That is pretty good! Without a way to further stabilize the pen (reduce wobble) that’s about as good as it gets.

One suggested way to reduce wobble would be more contact points on the wall (2 points + pen tip).

Another is to double the belts so they hold both ends of the pen.

Both would require experimentation.

halfluck
    Participant

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for everything, you are an amazing person. Your Software/Firmware/Development is outstanding!

Also I think i’m getting the hang of this 🙂

View post on imgur.com

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Znf99HI.jpg[/img]

View post on imgur.com

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ljB7uRN.jpg[/img]

View post on imgur.com

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KI6AWZD.jpg[/img]

View post on imgur.com

[img]https://i.imgur.com/f4xXPXM.jpg[/img]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.