Best Way to Draw People?

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Best Way to Draw People?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    EdmondsLibrarian
    Participant

Running the 7.8 version with 7 firmware and everything seems smooth and easy.
    What is the best way to draw people (or photographs in general)? (This isn’t really a support question as much as an advice question)

In taking requests, the most common request is always “how about me?” And it would be cool to do selfies with the machine. This would be especially helpful in doing something like staff appreciation at my work as well.

Part of the answer could be in processing the picture before sending it to the machine. Anyone? I know it can be done in GIMP but it takes quite a bit of time. The background is nearly always the problem.

The multipass seems to offer the best option for now. Anything else I could try?

tjhawkey
    Participant

I found that mugshots against a white-ish background work the best and use either scanline or crosshatch. I size/crop on my phone for aspect ratio to match my paper and so that the face takes up about 3/4 of the dimension of the paper. It’s really cool.
    I’ve never been able to get stipple to work that well, though I’d love to.

Tim

Dan
    Keymaster

Photograph the person on a clean white background. I’ve made a backdrop from a few sheets of paper I would have used for drawing. I strongly recommend A4 or US letter size paper for drawing because it will be ~15 minutes, instead of the more than 1h for A2 paper.

Inkscape can do edge tracing, which can be saved as DXF and then loaded in for quick simplified line drawings. Your inkscape settings will vary with lighting conditions, etc.

Higher contrast is usually better.

Dan
    Keymaster

For stipple lately I like 2000-2500 pts, max size 4 min size 2 on A2 paper.

I haven’t experimented much with stippling on A4 paper.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.