5-axes milling with GcodeCNCDemo

Shop Forum Everything Else 5-axes milling with GcodeCNCDemo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi !

I have a 3 months project to make a 5-axes CNC machine from a 3-axes CNC machine low-cost.
    I started 1 month ago and i finished the mecanical part. So now, I am at the step to control the different steppers and I have not yet chosen how to make it because for the 3-axes they use Grbl and it’s not compatible with 5-axes.
    So I wonder if it’s possible to use RUMBA with the GcodeCNCDemo6Axis or if it’s better to make a combination of Grbl and TinyG for example ?

Regards Tristan

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know of any reason why it would not be possible.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have made a 4 axis hot wire foam cutter out of a Ramps board. I still have one more channel in case I need to do something 5-axis here. E.g. a rotating plate for the foam. This should also serve for your purpose.

Take a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388809 and go directly to the last page in case you don’t need it all. I have also another thread here,where you can see how I forked Dan’s Rumba code to my needs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan would you be kind enough to point out where steps per mm scaling factors for each axis could be added to the rumba code?

Thinking of copying Soren’s work, but my towers will have different steps per mm than the horizontal axis.

Thanks, my coding is not as advanced as yours..but hopefully I’ll get there. Do you have a good reference for the array referencing you use..the arduino manual seems to pass it as being too difficult for humans.

regards JH

Anonymous
    Inactive

You want different steps/mm on each axis? Right now the code assumes you use one kind of motor with the same steps on each axis. So it’s probably in IK() where you’d need to adjust Z to use a different scale.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.