I bought a laser cutter that will be here any day now. While waiting I’ve been learning how to uncrate, install, and calibrate the machine. The worst part seems to be aligning the mirrors. The laser beam is invisible and very dangerous. The recommended way is very slow and goes like this:
- put tape on the 3 mirrors
- close the machine
- fire invisible CO2 beam
- open the machine
- look at holes in tape
- adjust mirrors
- remove old tape
If you had a mostly harmless visible beam that matched the C02 beam then you could adjust the mirrors in minutes. This tool makes it possible.
- Get a $4 cat annoying laser
- Print two copies of this part. It is printed on it’s side to prevent delamination problems.
- Bolt them together with 25mm M3s so that they clamp onto the cat laser. The middle finger on the holder should push the button on the cat laser. The holder has long fingers so that the laser can be tilted, if necessary.
- Rest it on a flat surface. You can also use the bottom hole to mount it on an M3 rod (which would need a base of some kind).
- Put the tape on the mirrors.
- Fire the C02 once.
- Move the cat laser stand so that the red dot goes through all the tape holes. Both lasers now match. Do not move cat laser again.
- Remove tape.
- Align mirrors.
- Turn off and remove cat laser.
- Go mess with your pets.
This has not yet been tested so I would appreciate your feedback.