Makelangelo Software doesnt Work on Windows

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Makelangelo Software doesnt Work on Windows

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey There.
    I wanted to try out the Makelangelo Software before I bought the Kit to see how the images would work there.
    The Adjust Machine and Paper size button doesnt work.
    When I open an Image It doesn’t show up. It only says in the log that its opening the file.
    I even Tried the dev version. The Adjust Machine and Paper size button works there but when i try to open a file I can see it render but when its done it disappears.

Any fixes?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Also I tested it on my Laptot and it happens the same thing

Anonymous
    Inactive

We think it has something to do with fresh installations. We’re working on automating our tests so we can check this situation. Please let me look into it and I’ll post here again when I find something.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Make sure your PC is 64-bit. Check it by hitting ‘Start’-‘Computer’-‘System Properties’.
    I did have the same issue on my Laptop(32-bit). Also make sure your Drivers are updated.
    My Graphics card needed an updated Driver.You also need the current Java for 64-bit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@canalzombie69 I would upvote you if that was a thing on this forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Brother. I try to help. You never can tell who knows what….and that’s coming from me who knew very little…er…uh….yeah. Dan….on the Master branch is there a way to remove the ‘Makelangelo’ signature at the end of the draw?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m thinking of adding an option to remove it for all paying customers 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

As someone who’s paid for the Makelangelo, I sure would like to be able to disable the signature. Right now, I’m manually deleting it from the gcode.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I want to buy a system, but having the same issue with the software. Log says opening the image, but nothing ever shows up. Win10 64bit, all drivers updated, 64 bit Java (freshly installed).

My wife wants to see an example image before I buy… since it didn’t work, so would I.

Lamachine!

Dan
    Keymaster

Right now the only version that seems to work for people is the v6.

https://www.marginallyclever.com/other/Makelangelo.zip

I’m working on solving the 64bit issue, it requires help from 3rd party library experts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dan Thanks, that worked. Is there a software guide somewhere? I tried importing a picture and got a VERY rough image (enough to call success) but not the kind of image I eventually hope to print.

FYI, it is working under 64 bit java and OS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The adjust machine paper size works. though my machine now draws in rectangles instead of squares… Pretty much everything is at an angle now.

I have rewired everything, changed the belts, and tried various stepper motor distances. Any ideas?

Dan
    Keymaster

Your message doesn’t contain enough useful information.
    Which way is the rectangle?
    What parts did you use to build the machine:
    Are you using 1.8 degree stepper motors or 0.9?
    Are you using GT2-20 pulleys, and have you adjusted the pulley diameter?

Try the latest 7.2.7 release, it might improve your results.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The rectangle seems to be pointing towards the top left corner. As if it is part of a very large circle.

My steppers have the following specs:
    Steps 200.
    Step Angle (degrees) : 1.8

My pulley has the following specs:
    Teeth: 20 Inner diameter: 5mm Teeth diameter: 12.5mm Teeth Width: 6.8mm Outer diameter: 15 mm
    I’ve tried various configs just to see the differences. making the pulley size smaller, increases the size of my hilbert curves.

The software renders shapes (in the software window) hilbert curves and other converted images with the top left of the canvas as the origin. I may need to post an image to illustrate this. i.e. the converted image is not placed within the paper area – but rather hanging off the page – unsure if this is a problem or not.

Is there a way to reset the software to defaults? I suspect I have adjusted something and now the software is out of whack, as it was formerly drawing semi straight lines.

I’ll try the new release.

thanks for your help.

Dan
    Keymaster

Marginally Clever steppers are 0.9 degrees. you need to change

#define STEPPER_STEPS_PER_TURN (400.0)

to

#define STEPPER_STEPS_PER_TURN (200.0)

you have GT2- belt and 20 teeth per pulley then it’s 2 * 20 / pi for your pulley diameter.

Try that and if it’s still wonky, send in a picture of your machine with the drawing still on it and the starting point clearly marked, please.

Anonymous
    Inactive

12.73 should be the diameter – but the machine stills draws strangely. Some of the earlier tests before changing the settings were much straighter.

Here are some images to explain what’s happening.

drawbot michael

hilbert curve with centerpoint highlighted

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I have spent the last 2 evenings getting Polargraph(http://www.polargraph.co.uk/) to work, just to make sure that the motor shield wasn’t inadvertently damaged (I started to suspect this as one motor seemed to moving less). Thankfully the motors are still working.

I have re-uploaded firmware_ams.ino and everything is looking a lot straighter now! I wish I had started a diary for this project – I could publish it as a guide on how to fail at each and every step of a clearly defined process.

Putting 12.73mm as a diameter for the pulleys is making the machine go bananas for some reason – I think I will need to go through firmware_ams.ino for some clues. Perhaps in the morning.

Dan
    Keymaster

I’m glad it is more straight. Are you running the Makelangelo v7.2.7 release with the latest Makelangelo-firmware? Did you put “12.73” or “12.73mm” ? the second option would not work, the system would see it as not-a-number.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.