They were first researched in 1938. Curtis Boirum built one that got on Hackaday. Now I bring you the plans for a model that you can print and build yourself. Use one to make an awesome RC car. Use two to make an RC car that can move in any direction.
By controlling two servo motors from either an RC controller or an Arduino you can drive a vehicle forward and back as well as turn left and right - or any combination thereof. You can make a vehicle from two HOG drives to move sideways or turn on the spot. Try the same from a 4-pack of omni wheels and you'll be paying a lot more.
It's also great for demonstrating gimbals. This model is actually two gimbals in one.
- 2 MOTO-0002 Servo, 180 degree, plastic gears
- 1 MOTO-0004 5v0.3a DC motor
- 1 MECH-0017 HOG hemisphere
- 1 MECH-0014 HOG gimbal inner
- 1 MECH-0015 HOG gimbal outer
- 1 MECH-0016 HOG servo mount
- 1 MECH-0012 TAMIYA 70171 3mm Threaded Shaft Set
- 3 MECH-0025 M3x10 Pan Phillips Screw
Add to this your favorite RC controller or your Arduino. Maybe even Arduino + Xbee?
This kit is very new and needs a lot of testing. If you are brave enough to order, please share your results & feedback in our forums.
This product was added to our catalog on Sunday 24 February, 2013.