help G-code optimization

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot help G-code optimization

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Dan.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vladimir
    Participant

What to use to optimize G-code?
    Idling takes up to 40% of the time.
    https://github.com/euphy/polargraph/wiki/Vector-Optimizer
    This optimizer does not fit, but the idea is excellent …

Dan
    Keymaster

40% of the time in which drawings?

For example, in DXF files if you select “optimize dxf on load” it will sort the lines to be vastly more efficient.

Vladimir
    Participant

I’m preparing files in ngc format with the size of 80 mb and more, so out of 10 hours of drawing 4 hours goes to idle moves…

Dan
    Keymaster

40% of the time in which drawings?

Dan
    Keymaster

More generally, after generating gcode a script could re-arrange all pen-up moves to try and find nearest neighbors.

afaik this is a np-complete problem, nobody has a best solution that works in known finite time.

Vladimir
    Participant

from 10 hours of drawing – 4 hours of idling

Dan
    Keymaster

Please send me the image and the steps you are taking. I will see what I can do.

raphmann
    Participant

dxf-export has a bug.

A script to sort ngc-code would be perfect.

Raphael

Dan
    Keymaster

@raphmann you’ll have to provide more detail than “dxf-export has a bug.” how do i recreate it?

raphmann
    Participant

When I open a svg-file in Makelangelo, I would like to save it as dxf. When I
    open this dxf-file in Makelangelo again (I would like to use “DXFOptimizeOnLoad”), no
    image or drawing appears. In the lower field of the Software there is written:

FielTypeDXF2…
    Converting temp 1258299040791194320.ngc
    Done!
    3 line segments.
    28.300001cm
    Estimated draw time 0s
    Completed

Dan
    Keymaster

SVG support in Makelangelo is very limited. I would try opening the file in Inkscape (free), make sure to “ungroup” and “convert to path” all objects, then save to dxf and load in makelangelo.

3 line segments in the file sounds very small. Looks like one pen up, one move to start, and one move back home.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.