Adapting an optical mouse sensor for feedback?

Shop Forum Everything Else Adapting an optical mouse sensor for feedback?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    disneytoy
    Participant

Not that it needs it,

But I just replaced my optical mouse with a Logitech 325c (a great little mouse). I got it for $9. I’m sure most of us have an old mouse we don’t use.

If you follow Josef Prusa, he uses an optical “mouse” sensor in the new MK3 printer to sense the filament.

Since this little pieces is so small and cheap, I was wondering if there would be any benefit, of reading the X,Y movement and position like a PID.

You tell it to move 20mm right and the sensor provides feedback if it actually moved that far?

I’m not a coder, so I don’t have a clue how this could be implemented, but I thought I’d through it out there a something for the future.

Max

Dan
    Keymaster

I like it. For which robot were you thinking?

disneytoy
    Participant

Well it could be a module for the Polargraph or the 4 motor plotter.

I like how you use end stops , I am working on my own but didn’t include end stops. I think I have some in my parts box. Expecting some new motors in tomorrow.

Mine uses an Uno and CNC Shield v3. I’ve already tested my motors and servo and they work.

I was reading this Hack project:

2D positioning: hacking an optical mouse!

EdmondsLibrarian
    Participant

I like it too.
    One feature that I’ve thought might be cool for a while (in a Makelangelo) is the ability to add a sensor that reacted to hand gestures- left/right, up/down. Kind of like a Jedi “use the force” exercise. Etch a Sketch for gestures.
    Possible product? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13162
    Of course, more input is more coding… Hope that lots of other users would add to the discussion to make sure there is demand for this kind of feature.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.