A Stronger Stepper Motor?

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot A Stronger Stepper Motor?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dan ๐Ÿ™‚

I think that one of the stepper motors is broken. It does not want to go home anymore.
    It is not the timing belt that causes the problems. I checked that. It is the stepper motor:

Since I work with large areas (160x120cm) and will need even larger ones (300x200cm) in the future, I wonder if it is possible to replace the current stepper motors and install stronger stepper motors. If so, which stepper motors would fit?
    I would be glad if you would give me some options.

Thank you

Joram ๐Ÿ™‚

Dan
    Keymaster

The home position is so high up that the force needed to pull the belts is crazy high, even for a bigger stepper motor.

A better solution would be to move the home position to a place it can reach more easily.

Makelangelo-firmware can do this…

D6 Xnnn Ynnn Znnn Unnn Vnnn Wnnn
    Set home position for each axis.

…but Makelangelo software does not have an option to adjust the home position. it would probably reset the home position to the default as soon as the robot connects. I haven’t looked at that bit in a while and can’t confirm that at this second.

Dan
    Keymaster

Also to answer your question about bigger motors… The chips on the board can handle maximum 1.5 amps each. the stepper motors you have are 0.3a nominal, probably 0.5 peak. As long as a larger NEMA17 motor is under 1.5 amp you should be ok. As you get close to 1.5 you’ll want a fan to blow on the chips so they don’t melt. I have some fans and possibly larger NEMA17s that are not normally used in Makelangelos.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the quick answer Dan ๐Ÿ™‚
    First I will try a larger NEMA17 motor under 1.5 amp with a fan.

The wider the machine, the more Force is required by the stepper motor, if home position at 217cm.
    This is clear…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.