I’m really starting to love Java. It’s so easy! Here I’ve taken the code for the Drawbot and modified it a little so that it will run my new project. From here I’ve got control over 4 motors and it’s no big stretch to reach for 6 or more.
The biggest challenge will be keeping the NEMA17 stepper motors from getting criss-crossed in my new application. I think I’m going to take a page out of the Burning Man city plan and name each motor 10:00, 2:00, 4:30, and 7:30. Then +X will be 3:00 and +Y will be 12:00.
Almost as important as doing the job as advertised, I’ve got to get my robots looking really slick and professional. Appearance and PR are starting to be a big concern – if I don’t market well, I don’t sell, and I need to sell if I intend to keep doing what I love.